CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Daily Points System

My friend, Jeri, made up this point system for herself. She sent the log to me, but I decided to create my own. Of course, her's was very simple and easy, but I had to make mine much more complicated. I needed more than one or two points for some things, so I can get up to 20 pts for certain things. Bearing that in mind, yesterday I earned (I like the sound of EARNED better than GOT)...drumroll...81 pts! That makes me excited!!!!! Jeri had hers divided into 3 catagories: Mind, Body, Soul. I had to be complicated so I have 5 catagories: Temporal, Spiritual, Mental, Physical, and Social. For Temporal I listed household chores. Spiritual lists things like scriptures, prayers, Visiting Teaching and other callings, as well as actually attending Gospel Doctrine or subbing in Primary, oh, and I get 20 pts for going to the Temple (thanks, Michelle;o). Mental includes things like reading for fun, helping dd with homework, positive affirmations, reading to my children, and meditating. Physical covers exercise and physical appearance (including taking a shower, 'cause sometimes that, in and of itself, is a great accomplishment), and eating right. Social includes going on a date with Hubby, attending my book group, inviting friends over (something I would like to do, but seldom do), service to others and playing with my children.

So, like I said, kind of complicated, but I think I need more incentive than one point per thing, so the things I struggle with have a high point value, while the things that are pretty routine and habit, are a lower point value. So far, as you can tell by my 81 pts yesterday, I am doing pretty well. Of course, I haven't even TRIED to figure out my POSSIBLE POINTS...I don't think it would be possible to do EVERYTHING on my list in one day. At this point, every little thing helps. (Now if I can figure out how to make the program total itself...but then...maybe I can give myself points in the mental area for doing the math!!!LOL)

Jeri, thanks for the inspiration!

7 comments:

Jenna said...

Hi! Thanks for coming over to my blog! Your blog name really intrigued me because as much as I love the look of daisies and love to plant them, they are the yuckiest smelling flowers ever! I always tease that they smell like stinky feet. Why is that when they are so beautiful??? Anyway, I read through all of your posts and really enjoyed them! You seem really fun. I love the point system thing...great idea! Come by anytime!

Heather said...

What do you get with all your points?
I like the idea though. I think I would just need a HUGE reward for earning the darn points though! :)

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

Jenna, I am so flattered that you checked out my blog. I have really enjoyed reading yours. Yours was one of the blogs that made me decide to start one myself.
That is funny about the Daisies smelling like stinky feet, I didn't really think about it when I named the blog, but I guess it gives it a funny twist. Daisies were my Dad's favorite flower, so they remind me of him. Their smell though...I guess that's another story.

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

Heather, I haven't quite decided what I get with my points. Any ideas? I guess if I really want to be rewarded for my points I will have to get my hubby on board so he can help make sure I get my reward. Just saying that I get a day off when I reach 1000 pts, doesn't do any good if he is not there to help make sure it happens.
What else can I reward myself with?

Jeri said...

It is hard for me to describe this, but I'll try to explain how to get excel to automatically add up your total.
Lets say that your list of points earned is in column B and goes from row 3 to row 27, and you want it to show the total points earned in row 28. Go to the cell where you want the total to appear, (in this pretend scenario it would be column B row 28, and type in this formula:
=sum(B3:B27)
translated, this formula is saying that you want the cell to equal the sum of cells b3 through b27. is that as clear as mud? if not, get my phone number from Cheri and give me a call when we are both in front of our computers and I'll try to walk you through it. So glad the general idea is helping and that you were able to adapt it for your own needs. I have found that I don't even need an exterior reward, just the cleaner house and overall feeling of productivity and progress has been PLENTY of reward (so far:)

Later -

Jenna said...

Now I'm the one who's flattered! I love to meet a new reader. Thanks for un-lurking yourself and making your presence known! And now that you have your own blog you'll see how fun, cathartic, and addicting they can be!

Laurie said...

Love this idea. Now I need to come up with a reward system. I bet this would be great for my kids also. I say you make a list of thingsthat you enjoy, shopping, dessert, new books, haircut (okay, now you know my motivators) and then work towards them. Just like you reward your kids for things. I;m so glad you found me. I really like you already. Your husband will never understand your blogging but you will love it! Welcome!!!!