CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 26, 2008

What I Did

Ok, so my family left just after 7:30 and I cleaned my kitchen. I had the radio going and no interruptions, so I just worked on it until I had to shower and get ready for RS. I worked on it for 2 + hours (it's still not done). I hadn't done a really good clean of my kitchen for a LONG time, so I'm not surprised I didn't get it finished. The nice thing was that I didn't get grouchy and cranky while cleaning. Normally I have 5 other directions I need to give my attention to, but today I just got to focus on cleaning the kitchen. I made myself focus. I wanted to start a load of laundry, but I made myself focus. I was tempted to find the right home for every stray thing on my counter, but I made myself focus (I just divided stuff into small piles or boxes to be taken care of later). I have a tendency to start one project and then get distracted and move on to something else, rather than finishing what I start. Although I didn't FINISH the kitchen, it looks better than it has in months (I didn't get the floor swept and mopped, but that job probably gets done more often than the counters getting cleared completely off and cleaned--dust had collected in the corners and toast crumbs under the toaster). I still have my piles and box to go through, but I did get one pile taken care of. All in all, I am happy with what I accomplished today. Ok, so I didn't get my silent relaxation time, but I did enjoy the solitude. It showed me that I am not a total loss when it comes to housekeeping, just easily distracted. I know it helped that I prayed for guidance and a clear mind so I could get the job done. I asked to see clearly what I needed to do and how. It worked quite well. I am thankful that Heavenly Father is even mindful of my need for clarity of mind when it comes to cleaning. Most of the time I look at my counters and feel nothing but confusion, but today I was able to tackle it with a great outcome. I still think I need professional help with my housekeeping, but I do feel good about what I did.

Our Relief Society Enrichment meeting today was wonderful. Clive Romney came and talked and sang some songs he has written. He shared what he has come to believe is his mission in life...that is to inspire others to take an artistic approach to Family History. To learn about our heritage and pass it on. It was a wonderfully inspiring message. I really enjoyed it.

Tonight our ward did a Talent Show. My 10 yr old dd did a Tae Kwan Do demonstration and played her clarinet. It was a fun day all around.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

CONGRATULATIONS Melissa! You get a big hug pat on the back. I know that this is something that you struggle with and wow what a great step forward! It feels good to have some piece and quiet even if you are cleaning. I so understand. Not only do you get some sanity back from the quiet but you can actually feel as if you've done something really great and see the progress even though in an hour or so it's destroyed by the fun monkey's (kids). For at least 1 hour you can see the difference and it's been quiet!
I love these moments!
Congratulations again!

Jeri said...

GREAT JOB!!! This is definitely a GO ME (or since I'm saying it, a "GO MELISSA") moment. (another Flylady thing) This may be horrible to say, but I'm kinda glad to hear that you struggle with housekeeping. It is SUCH a struggle for me. Sometimes I get so down on myself and think, "why can everyone other woman in the world do this housekeeping thing BUT me?" It's so nice to know that I'm not totally along.(With Flylady's help I have made HUGE strides in the past year and I'm so excited about that, but I still have a long way to go.)
Anyway - WAY TO GO. I am so proud of you!