CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Food Storage

As I have been thinking about food storage, I have been wondering WHAT to store, and how much of it. It seems to me that the recommended 40 lbs of honey is not really what I would NEED for a year, I took several years to use 12 lbs. So, in thinking about what my family eats, and what we would use, I thought of pasta, rice and potatoes as basic staples in our diets. So, how much of each of those would I need? When I prepare pasta for my family, I generally cook one pound for a meal and then we often have a little left over which I will eat for lunch or something. So, if I want pasta once a week for a year, I will need 52 lbs. When I prepare rice for my family, I use one cup of rice (and again, that usually leaves leftovers for a lunch or something), so if I want rice twice a week for a year, I will need 104 cups (I wonder how many pounds that is) of rice for my food storage. If I want a can of fruit for every dinner for a year, I will need 365 cans of fruit...is this all making sense? Anyway, I have been thinking about this for awhile...It may take me awhile longer to make it happen, but I am working on it.

Like Noah and his Ark, I will be prepared!

0 comments: