CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Family Olympics

Today my kids participated in the First Annual Family Olympics, sponsored by my friend Heather Jo. It was a really fun time...of course, I spent most of my time watching Bug play on the playground on the opposite side of the pavilion...he wasn't as interested in the Olympic Games as the older girls were. Among others (since I couldn't see the games most of the time, I may miss some) the children participated in:

The Torch Relay
Jello Slurping Race
and
Cupcake Decorating

Another game that I HEARD, included mothers being blindfolded, disoriented and then sent out to find their children by listening for their voices as they were all screaming, "MOM!" It looked fun, although it might have hit a little too close to home and caused some mental breakdowns on the part of the mothers. ;o)

Bug did enjoy eating his cupcake (along with a little grass and sand), before heading for the playground again to get more sand stuck to his hands and face which were still sticky from the cupcake. When we got home we put him right into the tub!

Since I haven't posted for a while, I thought I'd just do a little over view of what we've been doing...

Hubby spent half of last week in AZ, and half in Montana. He has a new calling--Ward Mission Reunion--and is happy to be out of Scouts after 5 years.

Buttercup tested and earned her Brown/Blue belt in Tae Kwan Do taking her over the half way mark toward earning her Black Belt. We are so pleased with how well she is doing.

Sunshine is very excited for Kindergarten. She had her Kindergarten physical today, getting at least 4 shots, from which she has recovered very well. She will also be taking a computer class downtown for early math/science and reading. She recognized all her Uppercase letters and all but two of her lowercase letters. That was all they reported on, so I don't know if the computer program covered anything else or not.

Bug is starting to use more words. His favorite book is, Go, Dogs, Go! and he will usually say the last word of each phrase...my favorites are freeze and party it is so cute when he does that. He will also say prayers, just repeating the last word or two of each phrase. The other day we were saying a blessing before breakfast and I said, "Heavenly Father," and he said, "Daddy,"...it was so cute and somewhat profound...out of the mouths of babes.

I have been overseeing it all. I have read some books. I finished the Shadow Children series, and listened to Gilda Joyce and the Ladies of the Lake. For my book group I am supposed to read Jane Eyre, but the copies are all checked out at the library, so I have the CDs on hold.
Tuesday night I got to go to the Gym while Buttercup went to TKD, it was the first time I have worked out in weeks (if not months). I really enjoy working out at night. I think it helps keep my metabolism working throughout the night and I almost always weigh less in the mornings when I work out at night.

Last Sunday I had the opportunity to teach Gospel Doctrine. It was a first for me, and was pretty nerve wracking. I didn't think it would be so difficult, but I had a really hard time putting order to my thoughts. I was on the verge of tears when I prayed, again, and suddenly things started to seem clearer. I think the lesson went pretty well, except for the fact that I spent more than half of the lesson time on one section of the lesson, so then I had to skim through the rest of the lesson.
The best part of teaching was when I was all done and my hubby walked up to give me a hug (he had just arrived home from Montana). When he walked up I had to take a double look because I wasn't expecting him. He missed hearing me teach, but that's ok. I was just happy to see him. Plus, he might have made me nervous.

While Hubby was out of town, my mother came to visit. It was really nice to have her here for a few days. We got to go shopping for my kids' school uniforms and for new clothes for my mother to wear to her new job at a charter school. She helped me come up with some ideas for the Back-to-School picnic activities, and we talked about having a Back-to-School party for Buttercup and her friends. I enjoy spending time with my mother...I wish we could spend more time together.

This coming week Hubby will be leaving town again and this time my sister will be coming to visit while her hubby goes out of town, too...should be FUN! Especially since she is due to have a baby any time now! We may have some excitement!

Well, hopefully I will blog more often so I don't have to put SOOOO much info in one blog.
Until next time!

1 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so glad you came to our Family Olympics. We're going to have so much fun doing it again. I'm thinking the next one with be in Janauary . . . like every 6 months or so. I'll let you know closer to the dates.