CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 9, 2008

This Is the Place for Family Home Evening

My friend told me that Heritage Park (This is the Place State Park) was free of charge today, so at the last minute we decided to go up there for FHE. We did our lesson in the car. It was Sunshine's turn to give the lesson so she wanted to talk about the Brother of Jared. Somehow she started talking about telling the truth and when we asked her how that fit in with the story of the Brother of Jared, she wasn't sure and she ended up having Buttercup tell us the story. At the end we talked a little about how sometimes Heavenly Father wants us to come up with our own solutions to our problems, and then He will help us with whatever we decide.

When we got to the park the parking lot was full of cars--to be expected when it's free. We first went to see the monument and then I went to double check that it was free. Well, I was disappointed to find out that they had just closed to the public. The group that was there was a group of missionaries from the Family History Library and they had a private party going on. Fortunately, since the party was still going on they allowed us to go in and walk around the park, even though most of the buildings were closed. We still had a good time. We even saw several things Buttercup and I had missed on Wednesday. There was a little play village for children. Sunshine and Bug had a lot of fun running around. We also saw the animals. There were really cute "teenage" chickens. They were bigger than chicks, but definitely not full grown. Bug looked so cute hanging on the fence looking at the bull, chickens and llamas ("yeah! I'm a llama again!"). Over by the kids village there was a goat, just roaming free. The goat appeared to be pregnant, but she was eating a lot of leaves, so some said she was just fat. It was kind of strange to see this goat just roaming free, not paying any mind to the people around (she's probably used to it).

Oh, there was a program going on for the missionaries and I learned a few things. Did you know there are a lot of things invented by Utahns? I knew the TV was invented in Utah, but also disposable diapers, the traffic light, video games, and the odometer were all invented in Utah! There have been a couple medical discoveries, too, but I can't recall them right now (artificial heart?).

When we got home we had slushies and ice cream for our treats. Then the kids put on their jammies and watched The Brother of Jared, Living Scriptures video.

I am so grateful for the instruction from church leaders to have Family Home Evening. I truly enjoy the time we have each week to talk about the gospel as a family and to see the gospel through my children's eyes. They teach me so much.

3 comments:

Our Biggs Family said...

What a great FHE activity. I think it is such a blessing that we have been counseled to hold FHE. Our kids look so forward to it and they help us be consistent. Our little Spring will start asking us on Tuesday if it is time for FHE again. I am glad you had such a great time even though it wasn't exactly how it was planned. Sometimes those are the best kind of events!

Kristi said...

This sounds AWESOME! I love it when FHE goes well.

Our Biggs Family said...

Unfortunately we will not be coming for the reunion. Joel has to work the weekend. We are not moving until the end of July, however.