Today's subject for our High Counsel was keeping a record--journals. Tonight I was reading the book of Jarom in the Book of Mormon and loved how it fit with that topic. Jarom says he is not going to write much because the plates are small and since his Father and forefathers had already written about the plan of salvation, what more could he say about it? He then reminded his people (and us) that they would prosper if they kept the commandments.
It just made me realize that the important thing about keeping a record, and about reading the scriptures, is to have a record of our testimony of the Savior and a geneology of our fathers. It doesn't have to be a lot of words, or lots of daily entries. Those can be interesting, but I don't think they are the main reason the Lord has asked us to keep records. I do think that if we keep daily records, we are more likely to see the Lord's hand in our daily lives. We were not given the History of the Nephites and Lamanites written on the larger plates, we were given the sacred records. I believe the most important words we can leave our posterity are our testimonies.
This topic reminded me of a topic from another Sacrament Meeting (I think it was last week). The topic was, "Teaching our Children to Love the Scriptures." My friend Jenne gave the talk and it made me think about what I have done to teach my children to love the scriptures. I believe I have taken a very passive role in teaching my children to love the scriptures. We do have nightly family scriptures and prayers, but I think the thing that has had the biggest impact has been the Scripture Scout CD's. My girls listen to them every night as they go to sleep, while they clean their rooms, and sometimes in the car. Their primary teachers are always so impressed with how well they know the stories from the scriptures. I would love to take credit, but I know I haven't really done anything, except provide them with these CD's. I love things that require minimal effort on my part, yet have a big impact. I guess you could say I take the easy way, as often as possible ;o) Another great, entertaining resource has been the Liken the Scriptures DVD's. They help the kids visualize how things may have played out, and keep us all laughing! The Animated Scriptures are good, too. With all of these fun resources, I do have to remind my children that things didn't necessarily happen exactly the way they are portrayed, because sometimes they take them as completely factual (quotes and all). The important thing is that my children are familliar with the scriptures and the stories and lessons they contain. I know there are many more ways I can teach my children the scriptures and I will work on it, but in the meantime, what they have seems to be working.
I love the gospel! I find so much comfort in the teachings of my Savior. I hope to spread that peace and love and comfort to all I can.
Read the scriptures. Write your feelings and the evidences of the Lord's hand in your life. Liken the scriptures to yourself! (That was another topic we had recently!) Learn, grow, share!
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment